Colchester Archaeological Trust
CAT Report 350: summary
(Click on report title to view full report in PDF format)
An archaeological evaluation at St Nicholas' Church, Copt Hall Lane, Little Wigborough, Essex: November 2005
by Brooks, H; Orr, K.
(with contributions from Crummy, N)
Date report completed: 04/04/2006
Location: Little Wigborough, Essex
Map reference(s): TL98101453
File size: 547 kb
Project type: Evaluation
Significance of the results: *
Keywords: Church, medieval, post-medieval, glass, small finds, animal bone
Four test-pits were dug by the Colchester Archaeological Trust to investigate the cause of subsidence in the 15th-century church of St Nicholas, Little Wigborough, Essex. The investigations showed that the church was provided with massive stone foundations well over a metre in depth, which is above average for a small church such as this. Cracks could be seen in the foundations at the west end of the nave and the north side of the chancel. The chancel and buttresses on the north side of the church were provided with particularly wide and deep foundations of large squared blocks of Kentish Ragstone. Various interpretations can be put forward for these foundations, including underpinning and cladding. The test-pit to the south of the tower exposed a layer of rubble, possibly associated with a building which pre-dated the church. Foundations to the south porch were revealed,which had been cut through after demolition by two burials. Several episodes of underpinning were exposed,some probably post-medieval and others carried out after the 1884 earthquake.